Will 2D animation die?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 25th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Father Of The Pride would have done better if it toned down the humor and was actually intended for the family audience it tried to aim at in marketing. After all, stuffing Shrek's Donkey in an episode of an ostensibly adult comedy is not going to go down well with the kids who wanted to stay up and watch. And I'll bet that parents were shocked at the innuendo and crude dialogue. End of story!

On Bakshi...I own a few of his movies, but can't say I'm a "fan". However, I love the guy for what he's said here. Brilliant.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 25th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Father Of The Pride would have done better if it toned down the humor and was actually intended for the family audience it tried to aim at in marketing. After all, stuffing Shrek's Donkey in an episode of an ostensibly adult comedy is not going to go down well with the kids who wanted to stay up and watch. And I'll bet that parents were shocked at the innuendo and crude dialogue. End of story!

That's why they should have just gone on HBO, in my opinion. But I guess they wanted a bigger audience.

And it was pretty dumb to put Donkey in an episode and then advertise it during FAMILY airtime...:roll: Plus despite how they tried to rationalize it, there ARE plenty of kids watching TV at 9:00pm ....Who else was watching all those "Dawson's Creek" and "Beverly Hills, 90210" episodes?

On Bakshi...I own a few of his movies, but can't say I'm a "fan". However, I love the guy for what he's said here. Brilliant.
Yeah...very funny. :) Finally some straight talk about this genuinely strange venture.

I also think it's funny how on the website, the owner's signature is drawn and animated exactly like Walt's was on WWOD. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 25th, 2006, 9:01 pm

EDIT: That Bakshi quote was from AN and was a bit shortened...this is the full version from Bakshi's website.

... I'm a Wisconsin guy and I actually applied for that gig. They couldn't afford me. Which tells you a lot, cause I'm a REALLY cheap date.

It's a perverse situation. The owner (a home builder with NO animation or entertainment background) is a very nice guy, has a big evangelical influence (which he's quick to exploit for radio ads), a great charitable man and a HUGE Disney nut in his own eyes. (And arrogant enough to tell me how Ward, Frank and Ollie would feel about something when he has only read of them in books - the carefully sanitized books.)

He also has a serious Walt complex. He thinks he is a brilliant story teller and a charsimatic front man, but he's truly neither. I saw a mock-up of his TV show in development and it was such a direct ripoff of the Wonderful World of Disney that the industrial-military Disney legal complex will end up owning half of Wisconsin if he produces it as is. Moreover, it's simply boring....

Best of luck to him...
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 5th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Actually there have been rumors on the net (I really have no idea if they're true or not) that FOTP might be brought back to TV (there are A LOT of fans out there. Check out IMBD.)

(If this has already been mentioned on the boards somewhere down the line, I aplogize. :oops: )

If it does happen (big "if") it probably won't be NBC. Some people
think it might even be....ABC! :o

If ABC does put FOTP on (or any other of the possible DW animated shows) it might raise the chances of Disney buying DWA if it ever becomes vulnerable enough.

Just my two cents. (I like that expression! :) )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 5th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Personally I'd prefere if FOTP didn't make it back on air...It's not a very good show at all, imho.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2006, 4:37 am

I don't know if even a "miracle" would be enough at this point... :?

(In fact, I highly doubt it.)

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=011772

(They linked here, and now I'm linking right back! :) :wink: )

I'd really like to see a well-done CGI TV series, though. Just to prove that they don't have to be bad.
Supposadly George Lucas will be making the next slew of Clone Wars episodes CGI this time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2006, 12:42 pm

$15-25m?

That's quite a difference. You think they have a <I>budget</I>?? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2006, 5:41 pm

One of the films/shorts is called "Cranky's Miracle".... :?

I don't know if ANY amount of $ could sell a film like that..... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 15th, 2006, 7:14 am

Wow. :shock:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=011782

I'm really interested in this and want to hear more about it....I hope more people post soon. I think they should be allowed to speak freely.

The output of that studio was saccharine, preachy, and just plain insulting to anyone with basic intelligence--that includes kids and adults.

And then there was that whole thing about putting on their housing ads that they're a Christain-based company...why is that necessary in the first place, especially if you're building HOUSES???? :?

I didn't mean to write anything too inflammatory but I really hope that we can finally hear just what the heck was going on at that place. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 15th, 2006, 7:30 am

That doesn't say too much, but I would love to see what else is being written about Miracle at the moment over there. Are there anyother worthwhile threads worth scanning?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 15th, 2006, 7:58 am

Not much at the moment unfortunately. But there are older threads that give you some pretty good context on this:

http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-bin/ ... 1;t=011053

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 011251;p=2

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 011499;p=2

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 010896;p=2

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 434#000000

The fourth thread down is quite interesting, as it has the owner talking about (or rather evading) the whole issue of Miracle homes/animation being "Christian-based" and linking it with their product. :roll:

Also, one of the threads has a link to this site:

http://www.notmiracle.com/

Basically people who had a bad experience with the home-building side of Miracle. It kind of gives you an idea of what it might have been like to work at their studio. :roll:

I don't mean to bash them, I'm just really sorry for the people who lost their jobs there. (And the arrogant assumption that any audience would be so desperate for traditional animation that they'd actually sit through one of those cartoons, thinking "Oh boy! This is as great as golden age Disney!")

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 15th, 2006, 5:31 pm

That was always my problem with it. There is MUCh more to creating a Disney style feature than just cute characters, songs and hand drawn animation.

Especially when it is hindered by additional subliminal layers...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 15th, 2006, 6:30 pm

So true. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 31st, 2006, 9:16 pm

Hey, whatever happened to this AN Miracle thread, and why aren't we hearing more about this? :?: :(

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=011782

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2006, 6:39 am

I think Charles last post says it all Vi.

What happened next is what I want to know...!