Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
Code Horror

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by Code Horror » September 5th, 2006, 6:50 pm

For people who are too Disney obssesed, here is a show you might wish you watched, this show Neon Genesis Evangelion is without a doubt one of the best Anime shows ever created besides Cowboy Bebop but this show is clearly awesome, now this is an Animated show worth watching but for people who have seen it any thoughts good or bad?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 5th, 2006, 7:04 pm

The first half of EVANGELION is pretty darn good.

The ending (or lack thereof) was pretty frustrating to me, though .. and the two movies which attempted to 'fix' the aborted series ending only served to frustrate me further, with their 'David Lynch-esque' shock/symbolism .. :?

I found Gainax's preceding TV series (NADIA: THE SECRET OF BLUE WATER) to be much more to my liking, personally.

That said, the mech designs, character portrayals, and concepts within NEON GENESIS EVANGELION are all top-notch; among the best works of the 1990's for certain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 11th, 2006, 11:12 am

This past weekend I just watched this series for the first time. My friends and I ran through the whole thing in two days. My first impression is that until about episode 19, it's a good mecha series but nothing spectacular. Starting with episode 20 it gets a lot more interesting. Really weird, but totally brilliant. I'd probably have to watch it a couple more times before I really got what was going on at the end, but all in all I'd give it 4 starts out of 5 and I can't wait to get the boxset so I can watch it again, this time at a slower pace.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Anime?

Post by lastunicorn » February 21st, 2007, 12:15 pm

I've never really been into anime, but my friend just turned me on to this series, Gunbuster, that just came out on DVD, and it's really good. Anyone else here watch any anime?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2007, 3:33 pm

Welcome to the boards, lastunicorn! :)

I'm not really into Anime either, but I'm a huge fan of Pokemon. I used to be hooked on a lot more, but sadly, their all off the air.

Sad list, isn't? :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 21st, 2007, 9:05 pm

Nah, not much into that style.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2007, 9:12 pm

The only Anime in my life that I have unquestionably LOVED (as opposed to Akira and Spirited Away, which I enjoyed and appreciated, but never gravitated emotionally towards) was this show I saw as a kid called "Hakatkatim" in Israel--it was made in Anime but dubbed in about ten different languages all over the world. (I think I mentioned it before here.)

It was shown on Nick in the early 90s, but called "The Littl' Bits." Different theme music, etc....It was about a bunch of tiny elves who lived in a forest, like regular people only very small. Mostly about a boy and girl elf and all their friends. It was VERY (emphasis on very) popular in Israel in the early 80s--t-shirts, food products like milk and pudding labled with them, etc....Oh man now I"m getting misty-eyed..... :cry:

The stories were incredible, very morally-based, but not preachy. Some great action/emotion/drama as well.

Here's the Israeli (and IMO "true" opening--no offense to anyone else!) of this show! :wink: :wink: (Actually, I think it might be the official Japanese opening as well, just different music.)

Here's some extra info on the show:

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-littl-bits

FYI: The words that flash in the begining of the screen are the official title of the show: "Baaretz Hakatkatim"--"In the world of the Katkatim". :wink:

BTW I can't believe how horrible the American translation/dubbing was!
The acting is awful and those dumb names they came up with! :? Plus I even read that the village doctor/uncle/guardian of the girl , who dozed off/drank too much in the original show, (and what I watched in Israel) was rewritten as just being "sleepy"--hence his name "Snoozabit"!!

Oh please...... And to think it was distributed here by the Haim Saban company--and he's Israeli.......:roll: (He and Shuki Levy wrote that awful "Littl' bit" theme song...BTW, yes, they also produced and came up with another show you might remember, The Power Rangers.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 21st, 2007, 11:52 pm

I watch the odd bit of anime. I've seen most Ghibli productions, and some other big names (Akira, Ghost in the Shell, etc.) in the theatrical arena. I do have all the Astro Boy sets, Gigantor, and some Battle of the Planets. I'd enjoy watching more anime, but am too busy catching up on all my other DVDs!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lastunicorn » February 22nd, 2007, 3:16 pm

thanks for the welcome! :) hehe, I used to watch Pokeman here and there, too...

I think I always sort of stayed away from anime just 'cause of how cultish it is, you know? But I've been really impressed by this Gunbuster set.

wow, thanks for all the info about that show, ShyViolet. looks pretty good!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 22nd, 2007, 4:07 pm

If you liked Gunbuster, I'd highly recommmend the feature film Wings of Honneamise and the television series Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water .. both are from the same director/creative team (Hideaki Anno/Studio Gainax), and from the same era (mid/late-1980's).

Gainax also made the television series Neon Genesis Evangelion and FLCL (aka Fooly Cooly) in the 1990's .. but IMHO, those shows are a lot harder to appreciate, from a 'western' perspective.

Honneamise, Gunbuster, and Nadia, on the other hand; those are high-quality anime classics .. which only get better every time you watch them. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 22nd, 2007, 5:23 pm

lastunicorn wrote:thanks for the welcome! :) hehe, I used to watch Pokeman here and there, too...
No problem! ;)

Interesting.... :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 6:05 pm

wow, thanks for all the info about that show, ShyViolet. looks pretty good!

No problem lastunicorn! :wink: I'm glad you like it, it's kind of close to my heart! :) :wink:

(I had two sweatshirts from Israel with the main characters on them when I was six and seven....one was black, the other was white....G-d knows what happened to them though....:?)

Hope you get a chance to watch it sometime....:)

The great thing about this show is that unlike a lot of other Anime series the episodes (only 13 I think) were all very self-contained and EASILY could stand on their own.

Here's the Hebrew theme song! :) (rough translation)

Let's all fly together
In a village that's in a dream
not so far away
Don't forget to take happiness and laughter with you
And a big bag full of laughter and tears...

In that village live the Katkatim
I've never seen anything like them.
They're so rare and precious
So let's all fly together...
to that sweet dream

And in that dream we will meet
Teepteep
and her good friend
Teepteepon
The rest we don't know
you can't predict a dream
But one thing is for sure
it will all come out in peace and happiness.

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2007, 10:13 am

I love anime (current favorite: Hikaru no GO). What got me interested in anime as an art form was Hayao Miyazaki's "Kiki's Delivery Service". Soon after I first saw Kiki, I saw Akira, Ghost In The Shell and Gundam Wing and I was hooked for life. Too bad the Scifi Channel doesn't run anime on saturday mornings like they used to anymore. I saw a lot of good ones that way. Oh well.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lastunicorn » February 27th, 2007, 11:29 am

wow, droosan, you seem to know where it's at! haha. Gunbuster seems like it would be a classic in almost any genre, but I'm a little biased :-P

the only thing I've seen of Miyzaki's is, unsurprisingly, "Spirited Away," which I liked, but I'm not sure if I liked it as much as everyone else seemed to. I'll have to check out his other works.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Anime

Post by cboy666 » March 14th, 2007, 10:58 pm

I'm not a anime fanatic but I do like some anime:

-Cowboy bebop
-Inuyasha
-Evangelion
-Yu Yu Hakusho
-Bleach
"In the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't. You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair... but that's the way things are. The choice is yours."