Stereotypical 'Happy Ending" Animations

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Stereotypical 'Happy Ending" Animations

Post by anya456 » May 15th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Why does the good animation have to end with a happy ending, with the good guy getting the girl, and living happily ever after.

Disney seems to be going back to their roots, u know, with Enchanted, being half in action and half in animaton, and with Idina Mendzel who I hope isn't playing the evil witch, because if anyone here knows Idina Menzel, which im guessing a lot of people do, has already played a similar role.

why cant people just forget about the money and go with the ethics, and morals.

yeh, but someone help me out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 2:55 pm

If you don't count the sequels, both Pocahontas and Hunchback had sad endings, as neither Pocahontas nor Quasi got who they loved at the end.

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 15th, 2007, 3:26 pm

Ooh, good examples!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 15th, 2007, 3:31 pm

But those films both have "uplifting" endings...you don't feel it is the end of those characters' stories.

In comparison, The Plague Dogs doesn't end very happily at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 4:12 pm

I've got to see that film soon! :)

Re: Happy Endings.

If you think about it, almost all animated films have sad endings.....for the villain that is. It all depends on who you're rooting for.
J/K :P :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 15th, 2007, 4:14 pm

I can think of a few animated films where I was happy that they ended....;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2007, 4:17 pm

LOL!!!!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by wendy » May 15th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Yes, all those animated films always have happy endings, but I must admit, i would be sad if it didn't have one. Watching Disney is just about feel-good beautiful films wich make you happy and not sad. You know the feeling that you can expect.

For me I don't have a problem with those endings. Considering I rather feel happy than sad... But it is a bit strange when you think of the little mermaid for example which has the bad ending in the fairy tale but then Disney makes it end good... But then again, most fairytales are quite scary and strange if you read the original stories... Actually, then it is quite strange to alter them for movie use. Hmmm, definitely something to think about.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by anya456 » May 17th, 2007, 6:31 am

Yeh, I was thinking about HOND last night, and with their ending, I enjoyed it because of the sad ending, lol, at the sequel though, which just made him have a happy ending. I guess people just want kids to know that theres a happy ending, even though from what ive learnt, there has never really been a happy ending, just small times in your life which are happy.

i just wish that they portrayed that in there movies. sme bit of reality.

there was this movie with hillary duff where in the end she didnt win the music concert thing, but was happy anyway. which was pretty neat.

yeh, i keep changing topics
No point anymore, if I can't love her
No spirit could win me
No hope left within me
Hope I could have loved her and that she'd set me free
But it's not to be
If I can't love her
Let the world be done with me.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » July 29th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Well for me, depending on what kind of film, I'm not a fan of happy endings; I usually just see them as something cheesy and over the top and the writer and the director just try way too hard to end the film on a good note.