Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2007, 3:19 pm

Can I suggest we move this discussion to its own thread rather than filling up this "Big Star Voice Actors" thread with off topic material.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by grandmahelene » March 8th, 2007, 3:19 pm

:) Just suppose, for the sake of argument, that I don't "turn out to be a 'nutjob'" and that the work has as much merit as I think it does. You --- and whoever it is that you know --- would be missing out, for one thing. Secondly, you will have been rude for no apparent reason, except to "sound important". Am I right? You wouldn't like anyone doing it to you, would you?

You don't know what kind of copyright I have or anything else about the project, yet; you're just assuming.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 8th, 2007, 9:33 pm

What I could do for you, if you'd be amenable to it, would be to e-mail you a generous sampling of my jpegs for "Journey to Marry the Princess", so that, for starters, you'd be able to see what I'm talking about, in the way of art and illustration --- since, per your profile, that's what you're doing for a living, at the moment.
Hey, would you mind sending me some of your illustrations and whatnot? I'm afraid I don't know anyone high-up in the industry, but I do enjoy looking at concept art and whatnot. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by grandmahelene » March 8th, 2007, 9:53 pm

:shock: That's what I can expect? School-aged members cracking jokes at the whole thing?! ( --- And Isupposedly have "the wrong attitude"?! :roll:

Someone please get back to me whose profile doesn't say "student" and who is genuinely connected with the industry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 8th, 2007, 10:00 pm

I don't think Meg was making a joke. I think she sincerely wants to see your work.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Wanna Share the Journey?

Post by grandmahelene » March 8th, 2007, 10:08 pm

:D Okay; thanks. Contact me by e-mail at itsstevensgrandma@cox.net; I don't think I can send you jpegs from here! (You'll enjoy this!)
"Share the Journey"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Since no one took my earlier suggestion I have taken matters into my own hands and created a new thread for this discussion! The previous thread this was split from can be found here:
http://www.animated-news.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2075

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2007, 11:01 pm

grandmahelene wrote::shock: That's what I can expect? School-aged members cracking jokes at the whole thing?! ( --- And Isupposedly have "the wrong attitude"?! :roll:

Someone please get back to me whose profile doesn't say "student" and who is genuinely connected with the industry!
Yes this is what you can expect. This is a fan forum. This is not an insiders forum, or a job forum. We have a few insiders here and we have some people seeking jobs here, but first and foremost this is a forum for animation fans.

Luckily for you it is not something more. With the attitude you have displayed here you would have completely turned off anyone on a forum with people that might have been willing to help you.

Belittling people who are "just" students is not a way to engender support. How would you have felt if someone in the industry saw your plea for help and said "That's what I can expect? 'Senior citizen' members pitching their preschool stories?! Someone please get back to me whose profile doesn't say 'grandma' and who is genuinely a real writer!"

You are welcome in this forum, but please refrain from mocking and badgering our members. Ben is a highly regarded forum moderator, and almost always the first to respond to every single thread. Meg is a one of the most enthusiastic and engaging members of our community, having made over 2600 posts in her time with us. Droosan is a long standing member, one of the first people to join us when we moved into this new site back in 2004. You've been here two weeks and made 15 posts. You might want to rethink your approach to joining our happy crew, especially in light of the help you are asking for.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 9th, 2007, 6:00 am

grandmahelene wrote::shock: That's what I can expect? School-aged members cracking jokes at the whole thing?! ( --- And Isupposedly have "the wrong attitude"?! :roll:

Um...<I>who's</I> being rude now...?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Well, this topic has been an interesting read so far.

Look, I'll say what everyone else has, but I'll add my own two cents, since I've met someone who reminds me of you.

There is this person--I won't name her--who for a while there was going to EVERY animation forum telling everyone about how she's going to make a sequel to a specific Disney movie (again, I won't name it, in case the person is reading this post). Now, she'd tell everyone how perfect her idea was, how it was going to be made into a Disney movie, and she seemed convinced that her story was worth getting made into an actual movie. To be honest, the person drove me and several other people out of their minds, because it seemed that she just wouldn't accept the simple fact that very few people get their ideas seriously considered by the Walt Disney Company, or for that matter the other folks like DreamWorks and Fox.

So, in other words, it's not gonna happen. Sorry.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 11th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Okay; thanks. Contact me by e-mail at itsstevensgrandma@cox.net; I don't think I can send you jpegs from here! (You'll enjoy this!)
I clicked on the E-Mail adress, but when I did about 60 blank webpages opened up. :| Any way to PM them to me? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 11th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Belittling people who are "just" students is not a way to engender support. How would you have felt if someone in the industry saw your plea for help and said "That's what I can expect? 'Senior citizen' members pitching their preschool stories?! Someone please get back to me whose profile doesn't say 'grandma' and who is genuinely a real writer!"

You are welcome in this forum, but please refrain from mocking and badgering our members. Ben is a highly regarded forum moderator, and almost always the first to respond to every single thread. Meg is a one of the most enthusiastic and engaging members of our community, having made over 2600 posts in her time with us. Droosan is a long standing member, one of the first people to join us when we moved into this new site back in 2004. You've been here two weeks and made 15 posts. You might want to rethink your approach to joining our happy crew, especially in light of the help you are asking for.

Plus, other than being very intelligent (more so than many adults, I personally think age is horses***) fun and witty, Meg is an artist herself, and a VERY good one at that! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 12th, 2007, 2:17 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:who for a while there was going to EVERY animation forum telling everyone about how she's going to make a sequel to a specific Disney movie
That made me chuckle! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2007, 8:23 am

Did that one include mice? Of the detective kind?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Hey all- I need some advice

Post by GRUNT » March 12th, 2007, 11:04 am

Hi- I'm new here! Sorry for having my first post be one asking for help, but this has been bugging me for some time, and this looks like the right place to ask about it.

First off, I should say that I've always had a love for 2d hand-drawn animation. I prefer it to 3d cartoons. I also love drawing a fair bit, and was considering a career in design.

Unfortunately, my highschool art results weren't very impressive. It didn't meet the minimum requirements necessary to even APPLY for a course. After much thinking of what else I would like to do, I decided on studying professional communication.

I'm currently twenty, and I just started proff comm. So far, I've been very disappointed. Not helping me is the fact that I just started a deviantart account at the start of this year. Before deviantart, drawing was something I enjoyed, but didn't do too often- I played quite a lot of computer games. Ever since I really started getting involved in deviantart though, my interest in art, and ESPECIALLY animation has somehow blossomed tenfold. Suddenly, animation has become a very strong interest of mine, and I would love to pursue a career in it.

http://z00tz00t.deviantart.com/ <---that's me! Yes, I am a massive Avatar fan :).

Problem time. Firstly, I'm in my third week of Proff Comm now...pulling out is going to be tricky, especially because my parents are paying for this, so it'd be really mean of me if I just pulled out now. The worst part is that I gave this choice of course a lot of thought and research, but at the time, my interest in animation wasn't so strong.

Secondly, even though I feel VERY strongly about a career in 2D animation, I am secretly worrying if this is just a spur-of-the-moment feeling I'm having. Right now, it's something I'm very passionate about, but I don't know if it'll last. Would actually being FORCED to do animation kill my love for it?

Thirdly, as you can see from my deviantart account- I'm simply not good enough. I have a horrid grasp of perspectives and other things. Taking the time to learn these things and creating a respectable portfolio that I can present to an animation school is going to take time that I no longer have because of my studies....so I'm trapped in a little vicious circle.

I'm guessing some of you guys here might be working in the industry, or at least know more about it than I do, so if you guys have anything to say, I would really appreciate it :).

Incidently, do you guys know any animation schools in Melbourne, that does nightclasses or something? It might be an interesting way (assuming I can afford it) to build up solid animation skills in my spare time...

Thanks for taking the time to read this, guys :).