Your Favourite Feature "Amblimation"...?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

Which is your favourite animated feature produced by Amblin Entertainment?

An American Tail
21%
The Land Before Time
43%
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
7%
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story
7%
The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure
No votes
Balto
No votes
Monster House
21%

Total votes: 14

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2006, 7:02 pm

The Asterix movies are a wild "take your chance" bunch, so I'd agree with that (on prefering Lucky Luke).

The first three were great (The Gaul, Vs Cleopatra and Twelve Tasks) but basically after that the funding was down to who would put up distribution, which meant a wild variedness in animation quality as well as the foreign dubs. The original English voice cast went out the window and the voices were dubbed by "local" talent in whichever country they were being released.

Such a shame these were not picked up by a major US distributor...they are certainly up to those standards. The series dipped BADLY in the mid-late 80s and did not recover until the late 90s when the Brizzis directed an outing, though I never caught that one.

I just managed to pick up Asterix And The Vikings while over in Paris last week - it just came out there - and it's a great little film, animated in a collaboration between A-Film in Denmark and the out of work, ex-Disney Paris artists, so it has real quality. It was actually animated "in English", for the best chance at international distribution, with the French dub doing a good job of syncing, but it's clear that the included English dub on the DVD is the one that it was animated to. The director is an English speaker too, so it makes sense. Actually, a very recommended disc (though the extras are not covered in any English dubs or subtitles).

The first Lucky Luke is the best, while Ballad Of The Daltons is a bit of a let down. The story is more generic, the Daltons themselves less than inspired and the clever voice joke of having them sound like 1930s Warners gangsters in the first one is discarded in favor of them sounding pretty much the same apart from the obviously dumb one.

Still, good movies and tons of happy memories! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by hungry_chicken86 » November 3rd, 2006, 11:53 am

definatly an american tail for me,is my favourite childhood film and one of the reasons i'm training to be an animator at the moment!just a question..why isn't all dogs go to heaven on the list?another great don bluth film!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » November 3rd, 2006, 12:00 pm

jds_bitch86 wrote:...just a question..why isn't all dogs go to heaven on the list?another great don bluth film!
...because Steven Spielberg has nothing to do with its making. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 11th, 2006, 3:07 am

People have to remember that American tial when it came out outgrossed EVERY past Disney movie-I think Before time did close to equal business. they were seen as serious threats.

I don't have much of an interest in Ambilmation films post Bluth., though I do have a soft spot for Balto Why did they go seperate ways? tail nor Time were as masterful as NIMH but Bluth did seem to do better with Speilberg. I'd be pretty pissed off I if were Bluth by all the sequels etc using his characters... (and I agree on Horner's scores for those two movies--gorgeous... Though I do like the song he did for Feival--Dreams to Dream)

We're Back is just so wrongheaded in so many ways IMHO. It seems aimed at very small kids for the most part then you get the circus scenes which are genuinely pretty horrific for most children--just wrong in so many ways. Nice animation though....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » December 17th, 2006, 10:48 pm

Man...I freakin' love Monster House, but I voted for The Land Before Time because of the childhood memories. Even with the seemingly never-ending release of sequels, I'll never forget how terrific that movie is.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]