trailers

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 8th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Yes, but the full "Spider-Man 2" trailer did what it was supposed to do: It told us what sort of plot elements to expect, but it didn't tell us how any of them were solved. Yeah, you saw Harry taking off Spidey's mask, but you got the idea that he was going to do that from the teaser.

I guess what I'm saying is that trailers for big movies have become "Events" now. For example, the teaser trailer for "Spider-Man 3" is supposed to be in theaters starting August 4th. I'm anticipating it almost as much as I'm looking forward to actual movies like "Superman Returns". And if there's so much anticipation for a trailer, it should live up to the hype.

Do you have the "Star Trek" films on DVD? Because the full trailers for almost all of those films (except for "Nemesis", which had great previews even though it flopped) give away every tiny detail. To me, these are an example of how most old trailers were.

Some trailers today do show too many plot details (the one for "When a Stranger Calls" had way too much. Thank God I didn't watch the trailer till after I saw the movie!), but quite a few of them don't. I guess that's just how I feel. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2006, 12:43 pm

I was CONVINCED that he was going to pull the mask off and in the actual film that it was NOT going to be Peter Parker.

Remember that Peter throws the costume away? We get that in the trailer and then there's some action/plot points.

We cut to Harry going to remove the mask...CUT...a no-show as to who it was...

I thought that some kid would have found the suit, tried to be a hero and captured by Doc Ock, where he would have been "un-masked" and mistaken for Spidey by Harry.

Of course, that's a different turn of events and Peter/real Spidey would have had to have saved that kid (maybe still showing Harry who was under the mask), but that's what I got from that trailer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 9th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Wow, I never would have that of that!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Ben, do you write fanfiction? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2006, 4:55 pm

No, but as a writer-director, I get "ideas", y'know? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » June 12th, 2006, 9:33 am

Off-topic of Spiderman, but on-topic for trailers:

My wife and I saw a trailer for Matchstick Men starring Nicholas Cage which looked interesting enough to rent. We watched the movie, and it was completely different than the impression we got from the trailer. The movie itself wasn't bad, just not what we were expecting.

The original trailer was on the DVD as an extra, so we watched it again. I still want to see the movie they were advertising.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2006, 11:57 am

I was like that with "Teen Agent". When I was young we thought it looked cool so myself and friends rented it and were appalled by the terrible film.

We watched the trailer again afterwards and still wanted to see THAT movie too!

I know where you stand with Matchstick Men. I also enjoyed the movie and its twists, but it wasn't the quirky comedy that the trailer offered.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 11th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Trailer for Secret of Nimh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leTvNS2udA

Trailers for animated films were very different way back when. Now they seem to emulate the style of live-action trailers.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 12th, 2006, 2:34 am

Nah .. the live-action trailers back then were 'oddly' paced (by modern standards), as well.

For contemporary examples, look up the STAR TREK II, E.T., POLTERGEIST, or ON GOLDEN POND trailers ..

I love that SECRET OF NIMH trailer, though (it's included as an 'extra' on the DVD). That film, more than any other, is the reason I ended up in the business. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 12th, 2006, 3:05 am

That's so cool. :)

It's a great movie.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 12th, 2006, 9:45 am

I just bought the DVD yesterday...My parents gave away our VHS. :o I also finished reading "Racso and the Rats of Nimh" the other day.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2006, 11:34 am

Racso doesn't hold up as well, eh Meg?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 12th, 2006, 1:03 pm

Wait, the character or the book itself?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 13th, 2006, 12:39 am

I recently got Secret of Nimh on DVD, and it's awesome. I've even come to terms with the weird mystical element that was added to the original story (which is still one of my favorite books), just because I love the rest so much.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 13th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Someday I REALLY need to see "Secret of NIMH". I keep hearing about how good it is, but I've never actually seen it!