You Might Be An Animation Geek If...

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

You Might Be An Animation Geek If...

Post by eddievalient » August 1st, 2006, 10:04 pm

A lot of people don't know if they're an animation geek or not, so I came up with a test to help people out. Things like:

1. If you have a copy of "Fluppy Dogs".

2. If you bought a bootleg dvd of Ducktales at the same time as the official one just to get the first five episodes.

3. If you had "Secret of the Sword" long before The Best Of She-Ra was released.

4. If you have more than one episode of any Japanese "Transformers" series.

5. If you have more than one episode of the first "Yu-Gi-Oh!" series.

6. If you know The Cartoon Planet Story.

7. If you can name more than five pokemon.

8. If you have a copy of "Banjo The Woodpile Cat".

9. If you own the soundtrack to more than one Don Bluth Film.

10. If you can name every character John Ratzenberger has played for Pixar.

11. If you memorized to lyrics to "Yakko's World", "Wakko's America" or both.

12. If you actually know what the hell is going on in "Dragonball Z".

13. If you own more than one Asterix movie.

14. If you own more than one Ralph Bakshi movie.

15. If you can name all thirteen dwarves from "The Hobbit".

16. If you can name more than three Gundam series.

17. If you can name more than three of Jumba's experiments.

18. If you've ever done the Humphry Hop.

19. If you keep nodding as you go down the list.

20. If you can name all five Voltron pilots.

21. If you know where the Peculiar Purple Pieman hails from.

22. If you know what the original title of the Atlantis sequel was supposed to be.

If you guys can think of anything else to add to the list, post! Let's see how many we can come up with!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » August 2nd, 2006, 2:10 am

I can only do numbers 10 and 17. And I would be better at 17 than 10, and there are a lot of people who would be better at 17 than me.
Last edited by Christian on August 2nd, 2006, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2006, 3:47 am

10. If you can name every character John Ratzenberger has played for Pixar.

Ham, The Abominable Snowman, P.T. Flea, leader of fish who do tricks, (Finding Nemo), The Underminer, Mack. :wink:
22. If you know what the original title of the Atlantis sequel was supposed to be.
It's on the tip of my mind but I can't quite think of it. :?
I used to have the scores from American Tail and Land Before Time. Very much want the Nimh soundtrack.
If you've ever done the Humphrey Hop.
Can't say I have, but is that when Humphrey the Bear (in the Disney shorts with that park ranger) gets excited and waves his arms? :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2006, 4:50 am

23.) You can name all the Best Animated Film Oscar winners since 2001.

24.) You can name the other nominees from every year as well. :o
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by i_cartoon123 » August 2nd, 2006, 4:54 pm

[quote]9. If you own the soundtrack to more than one Don Bluth Film.[/quote]

Let me just say that Don Bluth is a classy guy. Both he and Gary Goldman donated a trove of their animation cels, drawings and sketches to my alma mater - The Savannah College of Art and Design.

ch-ch-check it out
scroll down to the bottom
"Festival to honor animation icons
By Angela Hendrix"
@
[url=http://www.scad.edu/filmfest/highlights.cfm]www.scad.edu/filmfest/highlights.cfm[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by i_cartoon123 » August 2nd, 2006, 4:56 pm

Let me just say that Don Bluth is a classy guy. Both he and Gary Goldman donated a trove of their animation cels, drawings and sketches to my alma mater - The Savannah College of Art and Design.

ch-ch-check it out
scroll down to the bottom
"Festival to honor animation icons
By Angela Hendrix"
@
www.scad.edu/filmfest/highlights.cfm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 2nd, 2006, 6:51 pm

Okay, I'll bite:

1. "Fluppy Dogs" - CHECK.

2. Bootleg Ducktales to get the first five episodes - NOPE, BUT I HAVE THEM ON TAPE ANYWAY IN BOTH VERSIONS!

3. "Secret of the Sword" before She-Ra released - VHS AGAIN.

4. Japanese "Transformers" series - PASS.

5. The first "Yu-Gi-Oh!" series - PASS, HEY, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE QUALITY DROP SO FEW QUESTIONS IN??

6. Know "The Cartoon Planet Story" - CHECK, BUT NEVER SEEN IT (IT DIDN'T AIR HERE IN THE UK).

7. Name more than five pokemon - PASS. QUALITY? HOW ABOUT NAMING MORE THAN FIVE PRE-1950 SUPPORTING DISNEY CHARACTERS FROM THE PACKAGE MOVIES?

8. "Banjo The Woodpile Cat" - CHECK, VHS.

9. Own the soundtrack to more than one Don Bluth Film - CHECK: NIMH, TAIL, ANASTASIA...

10. Name every character John Ratzenberger has played for Pixar - CHECK (BUT ALREADY DONE ABOVE).

11. Memorized to lyrics to "Yakko's World", "Wakko's America" or both ("IT'S A GREAT BIG UNIVERSE AND WE'RE ALL REALLY PUNY, WE'RE JUST TINY LITTLE SPECS ABOUT THE SIZE OF MICKEY ROONEY"...)

12. Know what the hell is going on in "Dragonball Z" - PASS.

13. Own more than one Asterix movie - CHECK, VHS AND NOW THE BOX SET THAT JUST CAME OUT IN THE UK WITH 6 MOVIES. BUT HOW MANY OTHERS KNOW ABOUT LUCKY LUKE?

14. Own more than one Ralph Bakshi movie - LOTR, WIZARDS, FIRE AND ICE, COOL WORLD.

15. Name all thirteen dwarves from "The Hobbit" (WELL THAT'S A BOOK QUESTION, ISN'T IT?)

16. Name more than three Gundam series - PASS AGAIN ON GROUNDS OF EVERLASTING QUALITY...

17. Name more than three of Jumba's experiments - I COULD PROBABLY JUST ABOUT MANAGE THREE... HOW ABOUT 428, 276 AND 626? HAHA.

18. If you've ever done the Humphry Hop, NOPE, BUT I WATCH "HOUSE OF MOUSE" TOO.

19. If you keep nodding as you go down the list. HAHA. I KEEP WONDERING WHERE "SONG OF THE SOUTH" OR HAVING "VICTORY THRU AIR POWER" AND THE "SNAFU" SHORTS YEARS BEFORE THEIR DVD DEBUTS IS GONNA CROP UP!!!

20. If you can name all five Voltron pilots. HOW ABOUT SOME MORE QUALITY ANIMATION GEEK CHALLENGES, LIKE ALL SEVEN DWARFS?

21. If you know where the Peculiar Purple Pieman hails from - WELL MY SISTER COULD TELL YOU (HINT!) BUT THEN, THIS REALLY ISN'T ANIMATION EITHER IS IT??

22. If you know what the original title of the Atlantis sequel was supposed to be. THERE WASN'T ONE, BUT A TV SHOW CALLED "TEAM ATLANTIS" WAS CANCELLED. THE FIRST THREE SHOWS BECAME "MILO'S RETURN".

23. Name all the Best Animated Film Oscar winners since 2001. YES I CAN.

24. You can name the other nominees from every year as well. AT A STRETCH!

-----------------------------

Although some of these questions were more than dubious, it was a fun thing to try out! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 3rd, 2006, 5:09 am

25) You borrow a special edition DVD and spend much more time on the concept art, rough tests, and "making of" than watching the actual movie.

26) You stop movies right in the middle to watch things frame by frame. Which drives your family/friends crazy.

27) You've explained the whole Oswald the Lucky Rabbit thing to people who don't really care.

28) Scenes from animated movies tend to randomly get stuck in your head. At the very least, they play in your head when you listen to the film score.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 3rd, 2006, 5:35 am

29) You create a violent scene whenever you hear somone dismiss animation as "just for kids."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 3rd, 2006, 4:52 pm

You create a violent scene whenever you hear somone dismiss animation as "just for kids."
Ha ha!

:) :lol:

30.) You throw up your hands in exhasperation when people say "Oh, I thought they already owned Pixar."

:wink:

31.) You know the names of Lady's dog friends in Lady and the Tramp. (Jock and Trusty)

32.) You know that Walt was mostly dissatisfied with Fantasia.

33.) You know the whole story of how Michael Eisner got to be CEO.

34.) You're actually aware that he is no longer CEO.

35.) You know the exact differences between traditional animation, CGI animation, stop-motion, and motion-capture.

36.) You're willing to pay almost 100$ (well, close to that) for a Disney Treasures DVD.

37.) You know that Shrek didn't come from Pixar and that Disney did not make Hoodwinked.

38.) You know that many people thought Snow White and the Seven Dwarves would be a tremendous failure, and that it almost bankrupted Walt.
("Disney's Folly" in the newspapers)

39.) You know that the dog who sings "He's a Tramp" is called Peg because Peggy Lee did her voice.

40.) You know Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a debacle to produce.

41.) You know that Little Mermaid was first released in 1988 and not 1997.

42.) You actually see the irony of both DreamWorks and Disney films being displayed under the tag "Disney Classics" in video stores.

43.) You know that The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company were really the begining of the Disney Animation Renaissance, not The Little Mermaid.

44.) You know that there's an Anime version of The Little Mermaid, which features the actual (unhappy) ending of the story.

45.) You know who Howard Ashman and Alan Menken are.

46.) You know that Bambi was actually based on a book.

47.) You know that Drusella and Anastasia (!!) were Cinderella's stepsisters in Walt's version.

48.) You know that the original Seven Dwarves had no names and that they were named by Walt Disney.

49.) You know what "Dream on, Silly Dreamer" is about.

50.) You've heard of "Faster! Cheaper!"

51.) You know about the big debacle that occured when Eisner first tried to buy the Muppets. (and that Disney owns most of them now.)

52.) You know about the "urban legends" of Jessica Rabbit's dress lifting up, Aladdin's "subliminal messages", The Lion King's connect-the-dust scandle, and the "eager" minister in The Little Mermaid.
:oops:

53.) You know that the original contract Ariel signed had a picture of a gun pointed at Mickey, Donald and Goofy.

54.) You know that Mickey, Donald and Goofy are present for Ariel's recital.

55.) You noticed that Fagin had a Mickey Mouse watch in Oliver and Company.

56.) You know about the Lion King/Kimba the White Lion controversy.

Whew! That's it for now. :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 3rd, 2006, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 3rd, 2006, 5:34 pm

57.) You know that name of the Stepmother's cat in Cinderella. (Lucifer)

58.) You know that Disney's Pocahontas actually started out a lot more "cartoony."

59.) You know that Gaston was originally slated to be ugly, not handsome. (since villains were all ugly up to that point.)

60.) You know the whole backstory of Shrek, Duloc, Faarquad, etc....

61.) You know that Beauty and the Beast started out with different directors and darker vision.

62.) You know that Mickey and Minnie started out in cartoons together, ("Plain Crazy") which were poorly received.

63.) You know the difference between Roy O. Disney and Roy E. Disney.

64.) You know who Stanley Gold is.

65.) You know that Donald Duck's first cartoon was "The Wise Little Hen."

66.) You know that Goofy's orignal name was "Dippy Dawg."

67.) You know that after the mid-40's Donald Duck was actually much more popular than Mickey.

68.) You know that Pixar was actually a spin-off of Industrial Light and Magic, George Lucas's effects company.

69.) You know that Mickey Mouse's last cartoon was Mickey and the and Beanstalk that he did not appear again until Mickey's Christmas Carol.

70.) You know that John Lassetter, Mark Dindal and Ron Clements all worked on Mickey's Christmas Carol.

71.) You know that Mickey, Donald and Goofy were the ORIGINAL Ghostbusters! :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 3rd, 2006, 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 3rd, 2006, 6:16 pm

*ahem*

Sadly, I will be putting a lot of this stuff in storage (not counting the posters/lithographs), beucause my room is just way too cluttered and even when I clean my room, it doesn't look CLEAN.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 3rd, 2006, 6:52 pm

I'm jealous, Mac. :(

J/K :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2006, 7:34 pm

ShyViolet wrote:69.) You know that Mickey Mouse's last cartoon was Mickey and the Giant, and that he did not appear again until Mickey's Christmas Carol.
VERY nice selection Vi (and I'm glad I can say yes to pretty much all of them!), but that one got me confused.

"Mickey And The Giant"?? Mickey's last short film was "The Simple Things" in 1953, after which he came back to theaters in (unofficially) "Mickey Mouse Disco" (1980, which featured a smidgen of new animation but was mostly recycled stuff and is never seen nowadays) and then "Mickey's Christmas Carol" in 1983. In between, there was a terrific retrospective documentary called "Once Upon A Mouse" (1981) but that did not feature any new animation and wasn't a Mickey short.

With "Mickey And The Giant", are you thinking of the "Mickey And The Beanstalk" sequence from "Fun And Fancy Free". That was 1947, and did mark the transition of voices from Walt to Jim MacDonald for Mickey.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 3rd, 2006, 11:46 pm

With "Mickey And The Giant", are you thinking of the "Mickey And The Beanstalk" sequence from "Fun And Fancy Free". That was 1947, and did mark the transition of voices from Walt to Jim MacDonald for Mickey.

D'oh! :wink: I always screw this one up. Yeah, I meant "Mickey and the Beanstalk" from Fun and Fancy Free. I was trying to remember the Leonard Maltin lead-ins from Mickey Mouse Volume II, and I couldn't quite remember which was Mickey's "last" cartoon. Maltin said "The Simple Things" was the last one until Christmas Carol.

He does kind of add, and I'm paraphrasing, "Well, there was Disco Mickey, but that one doesn't really count." He considers Carol to be Mickey's "Comeback".

And I couldn't remember if Walt did Mickey or not in FF. For some reason I ALWAYS forget whether he did. It sure sounds a lot like him though. :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 3rd, 2006, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.