Interesting!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Interesting!

Post by ShyViolet » April 26th, 2006, 8:37 pm

This deals with Disney re-using material in certain films (like Snow White animation being recycled in Robin Hood, Jungle Book in Sword of the Stone, etc...)

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=011307

I remember seeing these and thinking: What the?

As they point out on the board Belle and the Beast's wedding dance was also taken directly out of Sleeping Beauty to save time and money. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » April 27th, 2006, 5:13 am

Ah yes, I remember noticing most of those. Haven't decided yet whether it bothers me or not... when done badly (ex: Maid Marian clapping like Snow White... she looks drugged) it certainly does.

I guess I'd rather see all-new stuff every time, but they might have pulled those out because they liked the effect the original gave, I dunno.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 27th, 2006, 5:30 am

I never noticed those things before. I HAVE noticed that in certain movies, such as Chicken Little, they appear to repeat certain frames or poses. Like when Chicken is being interviewed at the beginning of the movie and he stutters, you can definitely tell they used the same audio and clip over and over. And everytime he says his line, "What are we talkin' about?", the same head shot appears to be used. It's probably just me, but you never know.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2006, 8:41 am

PixarVixen wrote:Like when Chicken is being interviewed at the beginning of the movie and he stutters, you can definitely tell they used the same audio and clip over and over.
I think that was the point, with that gag, PV. :)

-----------------------------

I always think it's funny when people complain about thing like this. The guys, at the end of the day, were making films on tighter budgets and schedules. The studio nearly shut the animation unit down.

And we call these cutting corners? If the timing and acting is there, what's wrong with re-use? And, by the way, one can't really call it re-use, since the new images still have be drawn!

When it comes to re-CYCLED animation, that's a different kettle of fish anyway, since how else are you gonna draw a bunch of monkies dancing in time and step, or 99 Dalmatian puppies on the run?

Then there's the real re-use stuff that this site hasn't touched on: if you look at The Rescuers, for example, the actual cels from Bambi that have the bird fly in and snuggle over her young ones to protect them from the rain is used in an exact replica of the shot (with new background of course). There's a TON of this in Disney animation that this site didn't mention.

PLUS...remember that we didn't have VCRs or DVDs back then, so no-one was going to remember Snow White's dance style from 1937 wind up as a foxy Maid Marian in a 1973 film, even with sporadic re-issues!

BTW...that second shot of the Dwarfs was from a wartime propaganda film, in which Walt made for no money, so OF COURSE they're going to re-use the frames. In fact, all these shorts use a LOT of re-cylcled material to keep the costs down.

And the Sleeping Beauty/Beauty And The Beast clone shot is a myth. It was designed to be the same, on purpose, but is a different shot. And people keep thinking it was for the ball-room scene, but it was for the final closing pull out zoom shot - intentionally an homage to the earlier film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 27th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Ben wrote:I think that was the point, with that gag, PV. :)
Ahh. I wasn't sure if Disney did that on purpose or if they were just lazy. LOL That scene at the beginning still bothers me.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 27th, 2006, 10:04 pm

The studio nearly shut the animation unit down.
They did????? DAMN that Michael Eisner! Has he not one thread of humanity????? Oh, wait....

:roll:

Personally, the re-using doesn't bother me. Although I DID notice the thing with Wart and the dogs 'cause I've seen Jungle Book like, over 100 times. :P

Also just wondering....when they had the Lilo and Stitch commericals back in 2002 did they re-use animation from Aladdin, Lion King and Little Mermaid ("I was singing there!") or did they create new stuff too?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 27th, 2006, 10:17 pm

I'm assuming it was reused until stitch showed up.

So I guess most of it was new footage.

The reusing of animation doesn't really bother me. It's probably easier just to do it that way. I do, however, always notice whenever the bear in Robin Hood dances, becase it's exactly like Baloo

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 27th, 2006, 10:20 pm

The reusing of animation doesn't really bother me. It's probably easier just to do it that way. I do, however, always notice whenever the bear in Robin Hood dances, becase it's exactly like Baloo

Yeah and didn't Phil Harris do the voice too?? :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2006, 9:02 am

Yes, probably the most blatant imitations (Little John standing in for Baloo). The eyes and general design are the same too.

But again, don't forget that Robin Hood was a bit of a tense production for the animation department. Jungle Book had been a big hit and The AristoCats was a general crowd pleaser that played off the back of Walt's death (and was huge in France!?) but Robin Hood was where if it failed, animation would have been greatly scaled back.

That's why we didn't really get anything new after Robin's 1973 release until The Rescuers in 1977 (apart from some shorts and the linking sequences for the Winnie The Pooh feature) since Roy O. Disney and the execs were waiting to see how it did.

So if a few corners were cut to make sure it came in on time and under budget, then hooray for the future of Disney Animation! :)

-------------------------

The Stitch trailers: obviously the first half of the clips were using shots from their respective movies. New animation was created by the Stitch team as and when Stitch turned up. The weakest one, ironically, was Ariel's clip - you can tell when the new takes over as she's slightly off model.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 13th, 2006, 12:12 pm