First DVD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

First DVD

Post by eddievalient » February 27th, 2006, 11:37 pm

As a companion to the "New DVD Thread", here's another one. What was the first dvd you got when you got your dvd player (and when did you get your player)? I got my player in 2001 and the first dvds I bought were Superman: The Movie and Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 28th, 2006, 2:00 am

I think the first one I bought was the IMAX movie about the African Serengeti.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 28th, 2006, 7:45 am

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers’ Stone was the first one I got. My dad had come home from a business trip to California and brought back a DVD player and a movie. We spent the whole morning playing around with the special features. 'Twas fun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » February 28th, 2006, 8:15 am

My brothers bought us a DVD player for Christmas in 2001. Our first DVD's were also gifts that year: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Dumbo, The Princess Diaries, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 28th, 2006, 8:45 am

I bought Snow White and the Seven Dwarves even before I purchased my first DVD player! :D
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2006, 10:17 am

Good thread, and brings back memories!

Funny about Superman - The Movie - twas the very first LaserDisc I bought when I got into that format in 1991 (the other was the WIP version of Beauty And The Beast, which is why I bought an LD player).

Being an early adopter, I had my DVD player by mid-end 1997, though I still collected LDs until well into 2000 (Contact, Austin Powers and Mars Attacks among my last new release pickups).

I can't remember the very first DVD I came home with, but among the initial titles I remember playing over and over were three of the original Disney Limited Issue titles (Mulan, Hercules and 101 Dalmatians), A Bug's Life disc, and a bunch of the Disney Anchor Bay titles such as Condorman and The Black Hole.

Also glad I picked up Little Shop Of Horrors early - that extended ending has never been seen since!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 28th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Years ago, when VCRs were just starting to become available to the public there were very few people who owned them so video rental stores would also rent out VCRs. The very first time my family rented a VCR (before eventually buying one) we also rented Superman: The Movie.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 28th, 2006, 6:53 pm

The first DVD we got was "Snow White", but we got "The Lion King 2" for free with it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 28th, 2006, 9:49 pm

I got my first DVD player in 2000. Techinically, the first DVD I got was a Physics DVD that a teacher gave to me. However, the first entertainment DVD I got was the Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Hey Christian... the first movie I had on VHS was Superman The Movie too!

Of course, this was back in 1978 and wasn't exactly an official copy, but then again neither were my Dumbo, Snow White, Lady And The Tramp, 101 Dalmatians or Peter Pan...

Ahh, the good old days before rampamnt piracy when video copies of current films were actually handed out from studio archives! Luckily, my Dad woroed at Elstree Studios, so we got a lot of unofficial but authorized product.

I remember Watership Down playing at home (our first VHS was actually set up for us by that film's editor Terry Rawlings), as well as ET. But then some people too advantage of these home copies and started mass bootlegging them, and piracy was fuelled.

ET was the first really big film that got the Studios to stop the hand outs to employees, so then I had to start renting!

Note: I think the first movie I bought on sell-through VHS was Superman as well, though I think that eary promotion on Raiders Of The Lost Ark would have been in there too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2006, 11:53 pm

First video?? New Kids on the Block, Hangin' Tough Live (Concert)

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

First movie on VHS: Batman (1989)

First DVD: Girl, Interrupted
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » March 1st, 2006, 5:38 am

First video:
The first UK video release of Sleeping Beauty from around 1989. My parents had actually only just gotten a video machine, as they didn't really need one until I came along and they needed a babysitter to shut me up (especially since I was about to enter the terrible twos soon). I also got the Zip a Dee Doo Dah Sing Along Songs tape, and various Thomas the Tank Engine, Spot and Fireman Sam tapes.

First DVD:
In late 2002, we got a DVD player for Christmas, and my first DVDs that I received were South Park: The Movie and Spider-Man. The first one I actually bought (it was in a January sale in WH Smith) was Meet the Parents. My craze with the medium didn't really take off until mid 2004 though when I learnt about aspect ratios/bought The Lion King in a Summer Sale in HMV for £10.99. The first DVDs that I ordered online were Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Back to the Future Trilogy and my first Region 1 DVD was Alice in Wonderland: The Masterpiece Edition.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 1st, 2006, 6:52 am

First VHS:

The Little Mermaid

First DVD

The Little Mermaid: Limited Issue

you don't have to ask what my favorite movie is. Can't wait for the new Platinum Edition.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 1st, 2006, 2:26 pm

What's your favorite movie?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 1st, 2006, 2:55 pm

Christian wrote:What's your favorite movie?
Cinderella II of course