Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2007, 6:38 am

Despite hating the film, it <I>is</I> part of the Supes box I bought and I tried again the other night. At least on home video, blown up on my projector screen, the plane sequence had a <I>very</I> rubbery CGI Superman bouncing about all over the place.

Sorry, but Pirates just has to win here. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » January 24th, 2007, 6:40 am

I agree Pirates has to win (though 50% of that is my Disney bias) but I still think supes deserves the Oscar nod.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 24th, 2007, 6:50 am

Hey you guys wanna chat? :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2007, 7:51 am

ShyViolet wrote:Yeah but James, the film bombed....not just that, but it was actually ridiculed (indirectly) for being 2d... Maybe it seems like they were abandoning the art form but what would you do if you were in their position? ... Why doesn't anyone ever cut DW any slack
But that shouldn't matter. For the sake of the entire animation industry every film should be submitted. Even if you have zero chance of any award. This year, there is absolutely no way Doogal would win anything. But it would have benefitted everyone (especially DW) if it had been submitted.

It's not about whether you're going to be rewarded, it's about helping your peers in the industry - and next time (as in this case), it could be another company you need help from to get your own reward.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2007, 8:05 am

James wrote:This year, there is absolutely no way Doogal would win anything.
I know you were talking Oscar, but not win <I>anything</I>?

I guess the "Film Advisory Board Award Of Excellence" doesn't count for much? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Ah, the kiss of death seal! The award for the desperate film marketer. No it doesn't count for much, and in fact if you see it on a film - beware!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2007, 12:12 pm

Here's some commentary by Jerry Beck about that "award"
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/2006_02.html#001641

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 24th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Oooh, that's so true - Eragon and Garfeild 2 both bragged about getting that. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 24th, 2007, 4:59 pm

It's not about whether you're going to be rewarded, it's about helping your peers in the industry - and next time (as in this case), it could be another company you need help from to get your own reward.
OK, maybe. How about telling that to Ed Catmull next time he decides to call what every other studio produces "crap"?
"I used to say for years that story was the most important thing to us," says Catmull. "Then I realized that all the other studios were saying the same thing. They say that and then they go and produce crap.
--Wired 2004

http://www.electric-escape.net/node/983
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 25th, 2007, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » January 24th, 2007, 7:13 pm

Wow! That "Lifted" short looks great ! Very soft light and shaders and amazing animation :) CG animation looks more and more atractive these days :) Good work Pixarians - now I want to see whole movie!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2007, 7:41 pm

First of all, you've leapt way off topic now. Turning this into yet another Pixar bash somehow is a stretch! Second of all, he is right - there is a lot of crap out there! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2007, 7:50 pm

BTW - wasn't Shrek nothing less than Katz snubbing his nose at Disney? The whole film is one big jibe-fest of the Mouse House. That wasn't very nice was it?

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 24th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Not nice, but a damn good movie!

I can't wait for Shrek 3.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 24th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Not nice, but a damn good movie!

I can't wait for Shrek 3.

Same here Sulley! :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 25th, 2007, 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 24th, 2007, 9:21 pm

I agree Kas, Lifted looks awesome. Can't wait to see it on the big screen! :D I love the lighting and colors.

I have an idea - let's make an official topic on Disney VS Dreamworks VS Pixar! Then no one has to complain about getting off topic. :) :P