Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 11th, 2006, 6:48 pm

But...Conan...he betrayed Terrance and Philip!

They...they loved Conan, but he sold them out!

Conan: "AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!! WHAT HAVE I DONE!!"

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 11th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Oh yeah I love that part....I was just thinking of it recently! :)

T and P: You are a bad man!
Mrs. Broflovsky: Don't listen to them, Conan!
T and P: You loved our movie, Conan! Remember, we watched it together. You laughed!
Conan: What have I done????!!!!! (Throws himself out the window)

BTW that was actually Brent Spiner doing the voice of Conan O'Brien...how tripped out is that? :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 18th, 2006, 12:07 pm

Would you guys say Everyone's Hero has a shot at this? :wink:

I haven't seen it, so I can't say. However it looks a bit lightweight to be nominated, no offense to the makers of it.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 18th, 2006, 2:08 pm

If there are five nominations this year I'd say it has a chance. And if it did get nominated I'd say it has a chance to win! Why for (to borrow a phrase)? Before I say why let me warn everyone that I don't want this to become a political ranting thread. That said, Hollywood does have a habit of rewarding films that strike their politcal fancy. Christopher Reeve became a stanch promoter and fundraiser for Democrats in his later years. Add his support for their political views, his tragic accident, and his somewhat unexpected death while making this film and I can see a path where Everyone's Hero has a shot at an Oscar, or at least a nomination.

And it was a good little film as well!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 18th, 2006, 7:21 pm

My two cents: No, it won't get nominated. The reviews weren't that good, and it's a box office flop. They would *only* nominate it for Chris and Dana Reeve, I think.

Though, to be fair, I haven't seen the movie.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2006, 10:23 am

I totally see James' points and agree with them.

I perhaps don't think it will win (though of course haven't seen it yet) due to the bigger hitters out there this year, but then that might be just what pulls it through too.

Cars has widely been seen to be a disappointment, whatever one thought of it and whatever the spin is, while there's been nothing else REALLY heartwarming, genuinely classic or ORIGINAL other than Monster House's "uniqueness", the way I'm seeing things.

If the film was actually terrible, it has no chance and doesn't deserve recognition, but if it's a "good little film", it would be a fitting way to posthumously award Reeve for his contributions to the industry and the world.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 19th, 2006, 1:22 pm

while there's been nothing else REALLY heartwarming, genuinely classic or ORIGINAL other than Monster House's "uniqueness", the way I'm seeing things.
But Ben, you still haven't seen Over the Hedge, right? It has a VERY different feel from most DW films and is the best-reviewed DW film since Shrek 2. It's REALLY sweet and quite heartwarming as well. :wink:

I admit I haven't seen Monster House, but I doubt anything in that film would get to me the way that Hammy and RJ's friendship did, or Verne losing the respect of the group.

But I do think EH should be nominated, out of respect for Reeve. And the fact that it probably didn't contain any vulgar jokes. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 19th, 2006, 3:22 pm

I'm not saying Hero will or should get nominated. I just meant based on Hollywood's penchant for "rewarding" films for something other than actual merit I wouldn't be shocked to see it nominated.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 21st, 2006, 5:37 pm

Which films has Ben seen, anyway?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 21st, 2006, 10:22 pm

I think he saw Ice Age 2, didn't he? :wink:

There are a ton I have to see as well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 21st, 2006, 11:16 pm

I've seen them all this year except A Scanner Darkly. A lot of quantity this year, not a ton of quality. And no obvious winner like previous years.

Here's my breakdown of the possible nominations:

LOCK
Cars

ALL BUT CERTAIN
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Over the Hedge

HIGH POSSIBILITY
The Wild
Monster House
The Ant Bully

PROBABLY NOT
Curious George
Barnyard
Everyone’s Hero

NO WAY IN HADES
Doogal

HAVE NOT SEEN YET
A Scanner Darkly
Open Season
Flushed Away
Happy Feet

BTW - Unless two independent films have or will be released this year in limited release and following Academy rules it looks like there will be only 3 nominations this year. "Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss" and "Captain Sabertooth" were scheduled for this year but I don't know if they ever got off the ground or if their creators would even bother putting them up for Oscar consideration.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 22nd, 2006, 3:55 am

C'mon, there's NO WAY Over the Hedge won't be nominated. It got some really good reviews and has great art as well. I think its status is MUCH more certain than Ice Age 2 (and that it has a much better chance of winning.)There can't just be one lock, that's like an
election with only one candidate running unopposed....

Giving it to Pixar AGAIN? I think the love-in is wearing off a bit. Yeah Cars had some wonderful scenes and a sweet message, but I think even Academy voters will realize that there IS a formula in their films. (Incredibles was two years ago, people.) The Incredibles, BTW, got a whole bunch of attention because it swayed away from the buddy formula into darker territory. Cars is throwback to Nemo, Bugs and Toy Story in a big way.

They won for Finding Nemo, then Incredibles, Geri's Game and of course One Man Band. If they win AGAIN for a film like Cars, they'll be the living embodiment of Lightning McQueen. :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on September 22nd, 2006, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 22nd, 2006, 4:09 am

Plus (and I admit I haven't seen it of course) in my opinion Happy Feet should probably be in the "No Way in Hades" column.

Bada bing, Bada boom! (j/k) :P

(*Hercules ref. :wink:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 22nd, 2006, 9:17 am

ShyViolet wrote:C'mon, there's NO WAY Over the Hedge won't be nominated. It got some really good reviews and has great art as well. I think its status is MUCH more certain than Ice Age 2 (and that it has a much better chance of winning.)There can't just be one lock, that's like an
election with only one candidate running unopposed....
I think OTH will probably be nominated too - I just can't say that it will with the same certainty that I think Cars will be nominated. Cars got a lot of buzz this year, OTH not so much. Sometimes with Hollywood that is all it comes down to. Not dissing the film, which I loved, just looking at the possible nominees objectively. And note, my categories (locks, high possibilities, etc) only apply to the nominations. Once we have the actual nominees other considerations will come in to play to figure out the winner.
ShyViolet wrote:Giving it to Pixar AGAIN? I think the love-in is wearing off a bit. Yeah Cars had some wonderful scenes and a sweet message, but...

They won for Finding Nemo, then Incredibles, Geri's Game and of course One Man Band. If they win AGAIN for a film like Cars, they'll be the living embodiment of Lightning McQueen. :roll:
To be fair, a DW released film won it just last year. Pixar has won the feature award just 2 out of the 5 years it has been around. DW won once and a Disney released film won once. Not what I'd call anything near a run-away for any company.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 22nd, 2006, 12:37 pm

I'd bump Monster House up to Almost Certain. That got a lot of industry people talking - even the ones that don't talk about "cartoons".