Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » July 26th, 2006, 5:31 pm

What I'm saying is that the academy awards best animated feature awards and nominations based on the final movie, not by "best clay" "best hand-drawn" "best motion-captured" etc.

Motion-capture is an animation technique. It's as valid as rotoscoping or drawing from filmed reference.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2006, 11:05 am

True.

And Phantom Menace used scene extensions, Vi. Different to something like The World Of Tomorrow, which was all blue/green screen and had everything but the actors composited in afterwards.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 27th, 2006, 11:33 am

Besides, from the way things look now, "Monster House" is going to get a nomination.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Josh B » July 29th, 2006, 7:36 am

I hope Over the Hedge wins it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Chaya » July 30th, 2006, 3:05 am

Blahhh!!! I'd totally hate to be the one to decide wh get the oscar this year... so many great films and still so many to come. So far, my two faves are definately OTH and Cars (I could never decide which should win the oscar.... They're both SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOODDD!!!!). Remember, we still have at least three more big releases to come: Flushed Away (looks hilarious!!! I LOVE Aardman! British humor rocks!), Happy feet, and open season. What an amazing year! I've never seen so many animated films released in one season!
"May traditional animation live long and prosper!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 30th, 2006, 7:59 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:Besides, from the way things look now, "Monster House" is going to get a nomination.
Yes, I'm expecting that too, although I think there's little chance of MH winning the Oscar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2006, 8:57 am

Or Flushed Away.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » July 30th, 2006, 9:42 am

Here's all the animated movies that came out this year. Minus Hoodwinked which tryed to get nominated last year, and the 3d rerelease of A Nightmare Before Christmas.

Curious George (Universal) - February 10th
Doogal (Weinstein) - February 24th
Ice Age: The Meltdown (Fox/Blue Sky) - March 31st
The Wild (Disney/CORE) - April 14th
Over the Hedge (Dreamworks) - May 19th
Cars (Disney/Pixar) - June 9th
A Scanner Darkly (Warner) - July 7th
Monster House (Sony) - July 21st
The Ant Bully (Warner) - July 28th
Barnyard (Paramount/Nick) - August 4th
Everyone’s Hero (Fox) - September 15th
Open Season (Sony) - September 29th
Flushed Away (Dreamworks/Aardman) - November 3rd
Happy Feet (Warner) - November 17th

I think thats enough movies for five nominations, instead of three like last year. I think if I had to pick five I would pick:

Over the Hedge, Cars, Flushed Away, Happy Feet, Monster House

I give the win to Cars.

I found the rules for best animated picture here....

http://www.oscars.org/78academyawards/rules/rule07.html

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 30th, 2006, 1:27 pm

It's gonna be "Flushed Away" and "Cars" duking it out as the top contenders. The other nominations will be "Over the Hedge", "Monster House" and something else.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 30th, 2006, 2:08 pm

I'm not sure about "Flushed Away"...I really dislike what I've seen of it so far, which is such a shame becuase I love Aardman.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 31st, 2006, 1:44 pm

I think it looks neat...but I don't care for the scatalogical stuff either.

I think it will be between Cars and Over the Hedge, with a possible win by Flushed Away (especially considering Aardman's already an Academy darling...but then they might want to give it to someone else since Aardman already won last year...and Pixar won twice in a row.)

Cars had some very good dramatic moments, funny script, and a fantastic look. Over the Hedge had a sly, satirical and heartwarming story....I think both of these films have an equal shot. :)

(I don't think Academy voters are much into racing and NASCAR...but then they probably don't relate all that well to suburban middle-class life either. :roll: Can you say "private beach house"?)

It's a toss-up, with FA as the "wild card." :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 31st, 2006, 1:50 pm

Well, Aardman isn't particularly an "Academy darling"...that would be Aardman's Nick Park.

And...take away the hand-crafted stop-motion that they're known and successful for and they just become like the rest of 'em, but evidently not quite in the same class.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 31st, 2006, 2:01 pm

That's true, Aardman is known for the great things they've done with CLAY...but without that....hmmm....

Wonder how "FA" will rate with the Annies....

But Ben, before we discuss this further, you should maybe SEE some of these films we're talking about! :)

(only kidding.... :wink: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 31st, 2006, 2:16 pm

Y'know Vi, just reading through a lot of other threads that you have posted in, I was going to say the same thing to you! ;)

At the moment, I haven't said a word about Flushed Away, the movie. I have suggested that the change of productuion technique, based on accurate findings in the trailers released, suggest that, visually, Aardman has a little way to go before being able to compete with Pixar or their stable-mates at DreamWorks.

I guess I'll try and catch Cars, but Monster House looks the more intriguing, from how good/bad the visuals actually are, and the offbeat story, but I get your point! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 1st, 2006, 12:03 am

Y'know Vi, just reading through a lot of other threads that you have posted in, I was going to say the same thing to you!
Yeah...the irony occured to me too! :wink: