Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 5:40 pm

But that still doesn't explain while there were only three songs nominated! :?
James wrote:The list is linked to on our story.
Whoops. My bad.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 31st, 2006, 6:27 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:But that still doesn't explain while there were only three songs nominated! :?
I'd assume of the 42 songs "submitted in any category", 25 or fewer "qualified" by getting a score of 8.25 or better during the screenings.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 6:30 pm

I guess so.

By my understanding, it seems like another way for them to make the show shorter.

Or maybe they're just too picky.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 31st, 2006, 9:24 pm

Yeah. First handing out Oscars in the aisle, then cutting down on the nominations...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 10:29 pm

Oh, let's hope that they don't repeat that whole "On the aisle" thing.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar Nominations: CGI Shutout

Post by Brandon Neeld » February 1st, 2006, 2:45 am

Sullivan wrote:
Brandon Neeld wrote: The fact that Pixar (the one company who did't release a Full Length Animated Feature this year) walked away with the only CGI nomination for the short One Man Band.
No.

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello and 9 are also CG.
Haha - you caught me. I wrote this early this morning and suddenly in the middle of one of my classes I realized "oops! There were other CGI shorts!" Unfortunately, I'm just now getting home to mention it. The irony of the Pixar nod when other top CGI companies were shut out (esp in BAF) still holds alot of irony in my book though.

Commenting on the songs though - I agree that the nomination of three (esp 3 I was unfamiliar with) was very odd. I still want So Long and Thanks for all the Fish - but seriously - there were 45 candidates on the short list - let alone submitted so I really don't understand why only 3 were chosen. In regards to AskMike though I will say that the TransaAmerica song is done by Dolly Parton so that's a pretty big name - but songs are rarely performed by the original artists anyway at the Oscars in favor of big name stars who will bring in the audience.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 1st, 2006, 7:40 am

If they really wanted to bring in a bigger audience, they should've given more nominations to the movies that people actually saw.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2006, 1:38 pm

Well, here's my pick on what I think might/hope will win. Note that in the categories I missed out, I have not had sufficient viewing of all the material to make a fully informed opinion, but have made a few guesses here and there.

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Philip Seymour Hoffman - CAPOTE

Haven't seen this, but he's been getting huge buzz, has been around in good parts for years and has big face value coming up as the villain in Mission: Impossible III, so it could be his year.

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Felicity Huffman - TRANSAMERICA
Reese Witherspoon - WALK THE LINE

Too soon for another Theron win, and I hope to gawd that the wooden Knightley doesn't pick one up at this early stage of her career. I haven't seen TransAmerica, but Huffman has been getting good notices (and according to a friend of mine who "understands such things" as her character goes through - and I'll leave it at that - she pulls it off well). It's Huffman or Witherspoon, who again has been around for a while and needs some critical confirmation to go with her recent commercial success.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM OF THE YEAR
WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT

VERY surprised by the final three here: I wouldn't have thought Howl would have gotten in, and why not five features in the line up? Corpse Bride is great recognition, but won't win (even if this now means a probable double-dip DVD), as all things point to W&G garnering another little gold man for Nick Park.

ACHIEVEMENT IN ART DIRECTION
KING KONG

Memoirs Of A Geisha certainly is the front-runner here, and Potter has its fair chance, but I hope Kong's retro look is celebrated.

ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA
THE NEW WORLD

Discounting the flat, uninspired and terribly over-edited Batman, it's down to these two, both of which look superb. Final choice must be Geisha though, for its unusual beauty.

ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Geisha could walk away with all the "look" Oscars this year, but I'd like to think that Charlie And The Chocolate Factory could get a little nod here.

ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
CRASH
MUNICH

Tough one to crack, but Paul Haggis' Crash certainly has certainly gotten lots of good words. However, this is really down to Lee and Spielberg, and I wouldn't be surprised if it went the Hulk-helmer's way to compensate for what a lot of people saw in Munich as "trying too hard" and obviously so.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
ENRON: THE SMARTEST GUYS IN THE ROOM
MARCH OF THE PENGUINS

Only seen March/Penguins of these, but it's down to that or the Enron feature. My guess is that the wider seen and adored Penguins will win here.

ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING
CINDERELLA MAN
MUNICH

Both big Oscar hopefuls, it could see Cinderella Man get a nod, though my money is on Mike Kahn for Munich.

ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP
STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH

Of course it could be Narnia, but this is the last chance to give the Star Wars flicks any Oscar gold, and reward the biggest hit of last year.

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SCORE)
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA
MUNICH

With two chances, does it matter which one Williams walks up to collect for?

ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SONG)
"Travelin' Thru" - TRANSAMERICA

Not heard any of these, but law of averages says that if Huffman doesn't get the Actress award, this independent favorite may walk away with this as a consolation prize.

BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
MUNICH

Gay Cowboys (as the press have dubbed it before you attack me!) have come up from seemingly nowhere to contest Spielberg's shoo-in. Even on set, Munich was being touted as Oscar-worthy, which could go against it. It seems this is the cowboys' year.

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
ONE MAN BAND

Tough call, as always, and never who we think might win. For me, it's down to these two, being the break out 9 that has been most seen out of these choices, and the big studio release, which has gotten fun notices.

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING
WAR OF THE WORLDS

I'd dearly love Kong to win in anything it's up for, but I think Spielberg has to be rewarded somewhere, and the sound on this was pretty fantastic.

ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING
KING KONG
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA
WAR OF THE WORLDS

Another tough call, with Kong and War/Worlds the obvious front-runners, but Geisha could come in lucky again for its softer and more nuanced track. My hope is for Kong here though, which had a great mix.

ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS
KING KONG

War/Worlds, at the end of the day, didn't have enough, while Narnia perhaps gilded the lily with some frankly shoddy and rubbery animation apart from Aslan. Not just because I'd love it to win, but I really do think Kong had a real central performance among its many CG rendered pixels, especially without the aid of dialogue to help the giant ape convey his feelings. It's gotta go Kong's way.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
MUNICH

Cronenberg's film is suspiciously absent in many top categories, so I wouldn't be surprised for a win here, up against the other two obvious candidates.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
CRASH
MATCH POINT

Crash has had lots of early word buzz, but could be considered the also-ran in many catagories, so maybe this is its chance to shine? On the other hand, Woody is always a favorite and this turn of usual material for him could be a way of rewarding him after a fair absence of form. Ultimately, I think Crash might take Allen's thunder here, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my take on these nominations, anyway. An interesting selection, without the obvious winners in there from the get go. The biggies are down to Brokeback Mountain, Memoirs Of A Geisha and Munich, and though the latter was at one time a dead cert, I'd look elsewhere for the majority of wins.

The AMPAS awards are set for Sunday, March 5 2006, on ABC as usual.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 1st, 2006, 8:44 pm

Crash is an amazing movie. Seriously, it's great. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 1st, 2006, 9:53 pm

I haven't seen it.

And Ben, how long did that post take you to write?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2006, 8:08 am

About five-ten minutes. Just off the top of my head stuff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 2nd, 2006, 1:57 pm

War/Worlds, at the end of the day, didn't have enough,

That's for sure. I liked the tripods and the lazers but those aliens....COME ON! Couldn't Spielberg, creator of E.T. and Close Encounters, come up with something better than Independence Day meets The Inquirer meets Alien vs. Predator??? :roll:

Code: Select all

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE 
Philip Seymour Hoffman - CAPOTE 

Haven't seen this, but he's been getting huge buzz, has been around in good parts for years and has big face value coming up as the villain in Mission: Impossible III, so it could be his year. 
How could Russell Crowe not get a nom for Cinderella Man??? (Or Ron Howard for that matter) Plus what about Johnny Depp for crying out loud, I don't think he deserves to win for Charlie but he should at least have been nominated. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 2nd, 2006, 5:08 pm

They were probably worried that he'd throw a telephone at Ang Lee or something.

I myself am sad that Renne didn't get a nomination for "Cinderella Man". Not that I was expecting otherwise. She's been ignored all year at these awards shows.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2006, 10:06 am

Yeah, I think personal conduct in Crowe's case caused him the loss of that nom, just as it did the BAFTA for Beautiful Mind when he slammed some TV producer up against a wall at an event before that film was up.

In a year of films that are frankly pretty lacking in the "all time classic Oscar winners" hall of fame, I think AMPAS has gone for the lower key type of art film to try and bring the wards back to its artistic integrity beginnings, which explains a lot in the names that are missing in the line ups.

AV Team
AV Team

For the heck of it...

Post by Dacey » March 4th, 2006, 11:57 am

I thought, for whatever reason, that it might be fun to make wild guesses about what we think next year's Oscar nominations for Best Animated Feature might be. There's so many (perhaps too many) cartoon flicks set for release in 06 that I imagine that there will be five nominations.

So, from the looks of what I've seen so far, here are my bets.

IF there are five nominations, it seems almost certain that at least some of the following films would get nods:

"Cars"
"Flushed Away"
"Over the Hedge"
"Open Season"

And the fifth nomination will be either "Ice Age 2" or "Happy Feet".

Any thoughts?