Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: RIP, Carl Macek

Post by droosan » April 19th, 2010, 2:41 pm

About 11 years ago, I worked briefly for Mr. Macek on a pilot episode of a Robotech 'sequel' project which ultimately never went anywhere. He was very pleasant to work with, and extremely passionate about animation. His influence on anime's growing 'acceptance' in western pop culture was indeed considerable. He will be missed. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 19th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Would that be "The Sentinals"? If so, that pilot was included among the boxset's extras (although I have yet to watch it. I want to finish watching the series first and I haven't yet).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

droosan wrote:About 11 years ago, I worked briefly for Mr. Macek on a pilot episode of a Robotech 'sequel' project which ultimately never went anywhere. He was very pleasant to work with, and extremely passionate about animation. His influence on anime's growing 'acceptance' in western pop culture was indeed considerable. He will be missed. :(

You worked on Robotech 3000, Droo?

Or was it something, else?

There is some test footage from R3000 but not much....

GeorgeC

RIP, Michael Pataki

Post by GeorgeC » April 22nd, 2010, 8:51 pm

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/3 ... 938---2010

He was a voice actor, very active in the field.

Not a name I really know, but at least I know what he looked like 43 years ago.

Michael Pataki was also the face of Korax, the subordinate of Koloth in the Star Trek episode, "The Trouble With Tribbles."

He was the Klingon who started the big fight in the bar on Space Station K-7. His rude comments on the Enterprise infuriated Scotty who threw the first punches at him!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 22nd, 2010, 9:37 pm

It was, indeed, Robotech 3000. 8) (Robotech: The Sentinels had already been made, a few years before that).

The only footage completed for Robotech 3000 was a 10-minute test pilot; the series didn't sell at MIPCOM, so nothing further ever happened with it.

I still have the series bible featuring the story and concept art .. but I'm pretty sure my N.D.A. prevents me from sharing any of it. :|

GeorgeC

RIP, Lena Horne and Frank Frazetta

Post by GeorgeC » May 10th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Two legends in one weekend...

Lena Horne was a civil rights activist and great singer who guest-starred on many TV series (including an episode of The Muppet Show I believe) and was a genuine class act.

Frank Frazetta was one of the premiere fantasy artists of the second half of the 20th century and acted as assistant to Al Capp on Lil Abner for a while and collaborated with Ralph Bakshi on the fantasy animated film, Fire and Ice. Frazetta's best-known paintings featured Conan the Barbarian.

They'll both be missed by their fans.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 11th, 2010, 12:11 am

Yeah, rough day. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 11th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Fire and Ice is most definitely worth watching. The visuals are stunning (at least for the time it was made).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Brittany Murphy, 32, RIP

Post by Dan » May 24th, 2010, 10:53 am

Courtesy of Yahoo

The husband of Brittany Murphy was found dead at his Los Angeles home late Sunday, five months after the Hollywood actress died, police said.

The preliminary cause of the death of British screenwriter Simon Monjack is natural causes, police spokesman Sgt. Louie Lozano told The Associated Press.

"We concluded there no signs of foul play or any criminal activity involved," said Sgt. Alex Ortiz, another police spokesman.

Firefighters responding to an emergency call from a woman at 9:40 p.m. found the 39-year-old Monjack dead at the Hollywood Hills residence, police spokesman Sgt. Louie Lozano said. Ortiz said he didn't know who called. Monjack and Murphy had shared their home with Murphy's mother, Sharon.

Ortiz said that the Los Angeles Coroner's Office was taking over the investigation because criminal activity had been ruled out, and would provide more details later on the death and circumstances surrounding it.

At his wife's funeral in December, a visibly emotional Monjack talked about their relationship and called her his best friend and soul mate. The two married in 2007.

He had said that they had been planning a family and contemplating a move to New York.

Monjack is credited as producer and co-writer of the 2001 film "Two Days, Nine Lives" and executive producer of the 2006 "Factory Girl."

Murphy, best known for her major roles in "Clueless," "Girl Interrupted," and "8 Mile" in 2002, died Dec. 20, at age 32 after collapsing in her home. The Los Angeles County coroner's office concluded Murphy's death was accidental, but likely preventable.

The coroner's report said that the medications found in her system were consistent with treatment of a cold or respiratory infection. Monjack and Murphy's mother had reported the actress was ill with flulike symptoms in the days before her death.

An autopsy found no evidence that Murphy abused drugs. Investigators had found numerous prescription medications in her home.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 24th, 2010, 11:36 am

This is very sad, but it does happen. Something like this happened in my own family with one of my aunts and her husband. Perhaps, like my uncle, Monjak simply couldn't bear life without her and his overwhelming grief contributed to his passing. I suppose we'll never know.

AV Team
AV Team

Thundercats writer missing, roomates in custody

Post by Dan » May 25th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Courtesy of Bay 9 News

Law enforcement confirmed Friday that a van was found in Hillsborough County with a man's severed arm inside.

Officials say on Sunday, May 16, Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies responded to the Quality Inn located at Bearss Avenue and Interstate 275 regarding an abandoned vehicle.

Deputies discovered a van in the parking lot that had apparently been there for days. Investigation of the van led police to a Zephyrhills home on the 3800 block of 8th Avenue, of which the three residents had been missing since last weekend.

The three missing people were 56-year-old Stephen Perry and his roommates, 46-year-old James Davis and 49-year-old Roxanne Davis.
Friday night, officials say Roxanne and James Davis were found, arrested, and booked into the Pasco County Jail.

According to authorities, Roxanne Davis faces a grand theft charge, while James Davis was booked on drug charges.

Perry's whereabouts are still not known.

According to Bay News 9's partner newspaper, the St. Petersburg Times, Perry was a screenwriter for the 1980s cartoon series Thundercats and SilverHawk.

Perry had also written comic books over the years but had fallen on hard times. In 2007, he was homeless and living in his car until a group called "The Hero Initiative" helped him find a place to live and a job at an Orlando comic conference.

Police say the home was ransacked, with blood splattered all over the home.

Sonny Simmons, a neighbor, says police were at the home investigating for a few days.

"Police were there for basically four days straight, 24 hours a day. Nobody will let us know what is going on over there and we'd like to know because it's serious," Simmons said. "We've heard of a lot of other things going on that are related to it that we did not know about. But nobody will tell us. So, we're a little bit afraid to live in our own neighborhood."

Some neighbors say they're upset that the Zephyrhills Police Department hasn't released more information about what happened inside the home.

"They were taking pictures in the backyard," said Jaime, a neighbor.

As a mother of three, Jaime is having a hard time explaining what happened down the street to her kids.

"There was so much traffic on this street for a week, especially when they closed it down because everyone wanted to see what was going on," she said.

But so far, police have not released any information on what happened at the house.

The FDLE says they provided forensic support for the Zephyrhills police for a possible homicide.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 27th, 2010, 10:19 pm

He's dead... it's been confirmed by the authorities.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... -murdered/

It's not a pretty story at all.

Reads like a really bad slasher film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

RIP Gary Coleman

Post by ibrmacf » May 28th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Gary Coleman, star of Diff'rent Strokes, had died at age 42. You can read more here:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/2 ... index.html

Btw, I just remembered that he guest-starred as himself in the Scooby Doo animated special, Night of the Living Doo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: RIP Gary Coleman

Post by droosan » May 28th, 2010, 3:57 pm

He was also the star of his very own animated The Gary Coleman Show -- which suddenly seems simultaneously 'oddly appropriate' and 'wholly inappropriate' ..

Seriously, though .. I was saddened to read this. Gary Coleman's runaway child-actor success peaked during my own childhood (he's only two years older than me). I grew up watching him on Diff'rent Strokes, various and sundry TV movies and commercials, and even Buck Rogers.

RIP :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 28th, 2010, 7:04 pm

I feel sorry for the guy.

Not an easy life at all.

Between illness and not being able to really come back in show business after Different Strokes, it's a massive blow to your ego and sense of self.

I just hope he finds peace...

I pretty much grew up watching him on Different Strokes, too.