Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 24th, 2006, 10:34 pm

Ben wrote:Haha...

Wow, you nearly had me there Meg. ;)
She's right. I think anyway.

Actually, "Kong" and "Narnia" were about even in the FX category.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 24th, 2006, 10:36 pm

On a completely different note, will there be another chat group set up for this Academy Awards (like we had here last year)?
That was fun. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 25th, 2006, 7:49 am

My computer blocks chat rooms. <:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » January 25th, 2006, 2:21 pm

My personal opinion: King Kong (giant monkey from Jackson's movie, not the movie itself) was far superior to anything that Narnia has shown - best single CG effect/ CG character this year and maybe even to date. IMHO King Kong dethroned former CG characters King - Gollum ;-) Same goes for the best CG location (NY), and best cg action scene (KK vs V-rex band fight). Unfortunately some scenes (dinos stampede and many bluebox life action/ cg characters/environments compositions were bad or at least not even nearly perfect. Narnia was much more consistent in that department (but it has some bluebox flaws to). Still there were none such as outstanding CG effects/characters/locations like in PJ's King Kong.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 25th, 2006, 4:02 pm

I dunno...Alsan just looked SO REAL. My mom actually thought they had used a real lion in some of the scenes!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » January 25th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Well... I was a little disapointed with Aslan... Sure, he looked like the lion on steroids (this pumped head and body), but acting wasn't so great, his movement wasn't natural all the time and lacked muscle movement underneath face skin (cheeks looked a bit too stiff to me - like stuffed animal's), his eyes weren't so convincing sometimes to... Kong was much more complete, performace and animation consistent, personality with much wider range of emotions. I think Aslan was on par with other narnia animals, like beavers or wolfs with maybe more complex muscle sytem and lovely done amazing mane :) What was better in case of Aslan (comparing to Kong) was compositing with lifeaction background - more seamless and natural.
Last edited by Kaszubas on January 26th, 2006, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Well I spent most of Kong wondering where they found a 25-foot gorilla that could act!

And remember that he had to convey a true performance without the aid of spoken Liam Neeson lines of dialogue!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 25th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Alright, "King Kong", I've decided, will probably win the FX Oscar. Still, I think both films deserve it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 26th, 2006, 9:20 am

I'm hoping Phillip Hoffman will win best actor. Okay, I haven't seen him act, but he went to the same high school as do. *feels special*

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 26th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Who *has* seen that movie? "Capote" is hardly playing anywhere.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 7:41 am

It's playing in the artsy-fartsy theaters.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Uh, yeah.

Nominations are on Tuesday, people! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I wonder which animated character will make a cameo this year. Probably Chicken Little, or someone from that film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Oscar Nominations: CGI Shutout

Post by Brandon Neeld » January 31st, 2006, 9:15 am

I'm not sure which is more ironic and disturbing...

The fact that CGI was completely shut out in the Best Animated Feature category.

or

The fact that Pixar (the one company who did't release a Full Length Animated Feature this year) walked away with the only CGI nomination for the short One Man Band.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 31st, 2006, 9:36 am

Hey Brandon, I edited your title to (hopefully) make this the one Oscar nomination discussion thread.