Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 7th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Yes but wouldn't Disney have some competition with The Simpsons?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2007, 2:44 pm

No, because Disney has Ratatouille!

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 7th, 2007, 6:45 pm

Ben wrote:No, because Disney has Ratatouille!
True but Disney/Pixar lost to Happy Feet at the Oscars.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 7th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Don't remind me. :(

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 7th, 2007, 7:40 pm

Daniel wrote:Don't remind me. :(
Sorry but it had to happen, I mean Disney isn't the only company that can make Animated films good or bad.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2007, 9:04 am

Ratatouille is not Cars.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 8th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Well you have to learn that Disney can't win the same thing forever, in my opinion it's time to let other Animated films win the category this time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 8th, 2007, 2:30 pm

There is, I believe, a difference between a good "movie" and a good "film." How that should fit into an award like this is up to opinion, of course... but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Though IMO there shouldn't be a "letting the other guys win" just because Disney/Pixar has got the award a lot lately. Say a football team is in the midst of an incredible dynasty and they win the championship every year for a decade. Wouldn't it be just as silly to call off the next championship and just hand the trophy to the no. 2 team so that "someone else gets a chance to win it"? Of course the team is good; that's why they're ranked second. But if you want to contend with the heavyweights, you gotta blow 'em out of the water yourself. It's hard, but you have to earn the bragging rights if you want 'em!

Of course, the Oscars aren't so easy to determine because this is Art, and Art is subjective. :P But you get my point.

I haven't seen all the animated movies this summer, but of the ones I have seen, Ratatouille has impressed the most. (still really want to see Surf's Up, it looks easy enough on the eyes). It would be a geek's dream to see TMNT recognized at the Oscars, but I'm not blind to reality: a good portion of the plot was really dumb and a lot of the dialogue was lame, even though the cinematography was awesome. And that's not even including the scorn the Academy would have for a "kiddie" property. Oh well!
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » August 8th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Well, the winner shouldn't be Disney/Pixar all the time, I mean you need to give credit to somebody else for a change, I mean to me Happy Feet proved that Disney/Pixar aren't the only companies making animated movies good or bad, and for the record; there should be a "Letting the other guys win", there are people that deserve recognition you know.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2007, 4:11 pm

The BEST award should go to the BEST recipient, no matter who it is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 8th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Why must everyone be better at wording things that me? Ben took one sentence to say what took me six. :P
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Therese » August 8th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Yep, agree with Ben & YCougar. Best should mean Best.

And take a look back at what has won so far; it hasn't all been Pixar (or any genuine Disney):

For films released in:
2001 - Shrek (Dreamworks)
2002 - Spirited Away (Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli, US release through Disney but NOT a Disney film)
2003 - Finding Nemo (Pixar, released through Disney)
2004 - The Incredibles (Pixar, released through Disney)
2005 - Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Aardman, released through Dreamworks)
2006 - Happy Feet (help me out here, released by Warner Bros-? Anyway, NOT Disney. Or Pixar. Or Dreamworks, for that matter.)

Pixar's record is 2 and 2, with Monsters Inc losing to Shrek and Cars to Happy Feet. Disney has been the distributor on 3 of the 6 winners, but Walt Disney Animation proper has had no winners, and only 3 nominees (out of 20) so far: Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet in the Spirited Away year, and Brother Bear in the Finding Nemo year.

I would love to see "Meet the Robinsons" get nominated this year, but I'm afraid it's practically impossible, since I can't imagine this qualifying as a "5 nominees" year, and I think there are too many things that will get in ahead of them as the 3rd nominee ("Ratatouille" is a lock for a nomination, and I'm guessing "The Simpsons Movie" is, too; IMO, that's your battle, and the 3rd film won't really matter.).

Please, please, please let Michael Giacchino get a nomination for the "Ratatouille" score! That's what's really going to make me jump up and down. And I'd like to think that Brad Bird has a good shot at an Original Screenplay nomination. I'd be happy to see "Le Festin" get a song nomination, although the song I really really want nominated is still "Another Believer" from MTR.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Please, please, please let Michael Giacchino get a nomination for the "Ratatouille" score!
Yes, it was wonderful. And that French song owns. :) (Also, didn't he get shafted when Incredibles came out? Did he even receive a nom for that? :?)

I also just want to add that Hans Zimmer's score for The Simpsons Movie most definitely deserves (at least) a nom. Emotional scenes, action scenes, funny scenes--it's all there, and it's great. :) (Hopefully he won't get shunted by some bogus reasoning that he just "adapted" it from Danny Elfman--the score is almost totally new material, other than the TV theme.)

And Spider-Pig should get Best Song! (J/K :P)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2007, 6:24 am

No, Vi...Zimmer's score is workmanlike and perfunctory. It was David Newman-lite...no chance at an Oscar.

And Brad Bird for Original Screenplay? Shouldn't that be <I>adapted</I>? ;)

MTR has a real shot at Song, and maybe a score nom, but not a lot more. I think if we're down to three BAF noms, it's Rat, Simps and either Surf's Up or Bee Movie.

On the 2006 Best: up against Cars and Monster House...none of them were true classics, but I think HF won because of Hollywood politics.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 9th, 2007, 9:36 am

On the 2006 Best: up against Cars and Monster House...none of them were true classics, but I think HF won because of Hollywood politics.
You're absolutely right. There's no way that would have won had it not been for the whole "Green Oscars!" crap going on that year. (Gee, I wonder how many of those celebs had ridden their bike to get there? :roll:)